Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bowel habits, someone has to talk about it!

Alright let's talk about something that most people won't want to talk about but, seriously, SOMEONE has to talk about it. SO, why not let it be me? I have all kinds of conversations with my clients. As you have learned so far from reading this blog you know fitness is a very 360 degree concept. It involves much more than just working out or eating right. It takes both of them together in the right pattern for the right person for it to work. A conversation that comes up quite a bit (begrudgingly and in as low of a voice as possible might I add) is how much bathroom habits change after you start eating right and exercising. This is good! It's exactly what is supposed to happen!
I'm always shocked when I hear a client talk about how their normal habits in the bathroom are so shockingly minimal. If you aren't urinating at least twice a day it's a given you need more water. If that urine is yellow you still need more fluids throughout your day. It isn't necessary to drown yourself with water every time that you do drink fluids but just make it more of a habit to drink throughout the day. Always carry a bottle of water with you at work so it's always there and convenient. You'll find that you will drink out of it just because it's there. If you scroll through all my blog entries you will find I talk about water a lot but that is because it is so, so important.
Alright, the other bathroom habit, let's talk about it. I am floored when clients tell me they only excrete solid waste once every three days. THIS IS AWFUL! If you aren't getting rid of your solid waste at least once a day there is A LOT that needs to change. You first need to up your fiber intake which can easily be done with supplements or just eating the right whole grain foods. Second, of course, you need more fluids. This is especially true if passing solid waste is particularly difficult for you. Third, you need to start exercising regularly. This is an awesome cure for bad bowel habits. Trust me, once you start moving on a regular basis, everything inside of you will start moving as well. You know the old axiom right? Regular exercisers are just that, regular. Okay, maybe I just made that up but its true. If you have any serious questions about bad, or difficult bathroom habits your doctor is an awesome person to talk to. Any other questions you know you can always ask me. I talk about this kind of thing everyday.
Coming soon, I know I promised an article about core strength, that will come next so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment