Thursday, August 16, 2012

Exercise, a shift in mind-set.

I always preach about how exercise and a healthy lifestyle is more than just working out and eating the right foods. It has to do with mental wellness as well. The thought we put into our lifestyle is just as important as the physical execution. Putting your mind in the right place first will make all the hard stuff that comes later seem a little easier.
When it comes to working out we are often negative in mind because most people don't enjoy it. Begrudgingly we get through it all the while thinking in our heads "This sucks. I hate this. I really have 30 minutes left? Wow, I'm so glad I'm here right now so I can torture myself.." Even with a positive mind set we sometimes see a particular exercise and think "Can I even do that?" What if we changed that one little thought of "Can I?" to "Can I do more than 1?" Just that little mental shift can make all the difference. Now you've committed your muscles to doing at least 1 so they are ready to go and give it a try. How else will you grow if you don't push yourself beyond your perceived limits? I guarantee you more times than not you will get at least 1 rep. Sometimes 1 rep makes all the difference.
If it is the fear of looking dumb in front of other gym-goers that is keeping you from trying new things, take a moment and actually look around you. You will notice no one is even paying you a glance. No one cares what you do in the gym, they are too busy with themselves and their own workout. IF they are looking at you, it's time to find a new gym anyway because that is creepy. Think of this, what if you actually did something new and it caught someone's attention and they in turn tried something new? You just inspired someone. Wouldn't that just make you feel all gooey inside?

Get in the gym or get with a trainer and quit talking yourself out of a really great, results oriented workout. Positive thoughts, positive results!

No comments:

Post a Comment