Monday, February 27, 2012

Finding perspective, reaching goals and finally getting it.

I find that the best relationships whether they be between lovers, friends, co-workers, clients, family, whoever they may be are the relationships that you never stop learning from. This (being what I'm about to talk about) especially could not have come at a better time for me in my career. I really am reminded I have the best clients.

I have a client who I see several times a week. I actually picked up this client outside of the studio so I make personal house calls 2-4 times a week. This client of mine has been by far the most committed I have ever had. They have also been the client I have struggled with the most as far as reaching goals and really changing our programming to fit injuries and  weaknesses to really get results. We have had some great discussions and some great breakthrough moments lately that I have just been dying to share because I know someone out there could use this advice. Mind you, all of this advice is coming from the brain and mouth of my client, not me, and it is really, truly brilliant.

My client is a recovering alcoholic and is very proud to now be sober. They are always telling me stories of the things they went through and the things rehab taught them and how they have had to apply all of this to their life to make them a stronger person. Just the other week we were finally seeing a HUGE breakthrough in performance and endurance. We went from barely be able to hold a plank with good posture to a 2:30 min plank with perfect posture. Seriously! That is the best barrier breakthrough I have seen so far in my career! I was astonished and asked them where did that come from?! This is what they said to me (not verbatim but it is close):

"Keyton, I finally stopped and asked myself what my real goals were and why I wasn't getting anywhere. I was honestly struggling so much with making goals that seemed so unreachable. It is so hard for me to stay motivated like that. I then remembered what I learned in rehab. Never promise you wont drink again. Make the promise that I wont drink today and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. I say the same thing with my diet. Today, I'm going to eat right and exercise. Tomorrow will be tomorrow I will worry about it then. I can only promise today"

Breakthrough.

Take these words from one of the strongest people I know and I bet you will see results too.

Promise today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment: